Wednesday, February 25, 2009

McGee's Musings: A Month in the Life of Thom E. Gemcity


I'm having a hard time getting started with my next novel.... you'd think with all the cases I've been involved with at NCIS, not to mention all the plots that should be in decades worth of case-files, that I wouldn't have any problem getting ideas for stuff to write about... but nothing's coming.

I suppose part of it might be my financial difficulties. I made a good bit off my first novel, and I bought the car and the clothes...but I sank most of it into a hedge fund - a nice, secure hedge fund.... that went belly up. I'm not really in financial difficulties -- I make a good salary as an NCIS agent and I'm not extravagant with that money, but just the thought of all that money I lost - if I'd known it was going to disappear I would have gotten a bit more enjoyment out of it!

I finished my second novel by my deadline, although that was a lot of work... and my publisher didn't like it. She asked for revisions and I did them. But the critics have panned it and my loyal readers didn't buy it... and I need a killer third book to get my fans back...and nothing's coming.

So I've decided I'm not even going to think about it for the next month or so. Instead, I'm going to write up the next month of my life like a novel, like a month in the life of Thom E. Gemcity.

I'm going to type it here, on this blog.

So I hope you, my loyal fans, will like it and review it. When it comes to writer's block, nothing helps the author crash through it like fans expressing their appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment